The master bathroom was quite the sight to behold when we bought the house – the carpeted floor was the icing on the cake! A picture says a thousand words so I will let the “before” photos speak for themselves:
Everything (and I mean everything!) in the bathroom needed an update. It was also in need of a better layout – as you can see, the old tub took up (and wasted) a lot of space! The original layout looked like this:
We moved a few walls and stole some space from the bathroom and the bedroom to make a larger closet. The layout now looks like this:
We ripped everything out and put in new tub, tile shower, toilet, vanity, hardware, and flooring. The only thing that didn’t change was the placement of the plumbing – it’s too pricey to start moving that shiz around!
I opted for a scheme that was clean and calming – white and grey. How surprising, hey? All of the tile is Carrara marble with white glass mosaic as an accent. There are two huge windows that let in a lot of natural light from the morning sun. We haven’t even had to turn the lights on in the morning yet (too bad the days are getting shorter).
Anyway, here she is in all her glory:
Just look at that view – I wish I could keep the blinds open to enjoy it while in the tub. Unfortunately, there is a walking path right outside our backyard and peeps be creepin’ all the time, man!
This turned out to be one of my favourite rooms in the house – I hope you guys enjoyed the dramatic before and after transformation. This post was getting too long to include the closet so I’ll do a separate post about that one next!
So far the renovations I’ve shown you have been pretty basic. The master bedroom/bathroom were where the major renovations happened upstairs. There is a lot to go through so I’ll show you the master bedroom this week and the master bath/closet next week.
This is what the room looked before:
This was the only room in the house where we moved walls – to accommodate a larger walk-in closet! We also took out the double french doors and replaced them with one door that matched the rest of the doors in the house. The layout used to look like this:
And this is the layout now:
In addition to moving the walls and taking out one of the doors, we also:
Replaced the baseboards and trim. We stained the baseboards, trim and doors with “Cloud White” by Benjamin Moore.
Scraped the “popcorn” ceilings and painted/retextured. Again, we used “Cloud White”.
Painted the walls. The colour we used was Spider’s Web by Dulux.
Replaced the carpet.
Replaced the ceiling fan with a chandelier for a little bling.
Here is a few pics of how the room progressed: This guy was hanging out in the room when the clean up began. I couldn’t resist snapping a picture of him. I kinda wish my vacuum came with a face and a name (are you listening, Dyson?!)
Here is the room now:
You can catch a glimpse of our amazing view in this photo…
Obviously, the room needs some work! We bought a king sized bed and used our night tables and console table from the old house, but we’ll have to buy more furniture. We’ll do that when we’ve saved some money again! I would like to putting a small seating area in the corner and perhaps a low long console table for display items on the other wall. Then of course, I’ll need to get drapes, artwork, new bedding (we’re using our queen sized coverlet still), etc., etc. I’ll post an update when I finally get the money/time/energy to finish it off! In the meantime, it’s a good place to have pre-bedtime dance parties (yes, that happens)!